Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Great Things Are Coming!

Okay guys, I redeemed myself with the bus system today! I needed to go to Lidl, one of our grocery stores in Dublin and it was just a short bus ride away. I got there and back with no difficulties! Definitely proud of my little accomplishment. I know that it's easy to get really overwhelmed my first few days here, so I was really happy to be able to say that I did it.

I've mentioned in my last few blog posts about being confused or upset at times being away in a new city and far away from my family, but I just want to make one thing clear: I am SO happy to be here. I'm totally aware that this place will change my life for the better, and that's why, even if I write about some misfortune during the day, that I always try to end on a positive note. I believe in silver linings and lights at the end of tunnels, TRUST ME. While I want to share my experiences with those of you who choose to read this, I also want to be honest. Sure, I need some reassurance at times, (don't we all?), but that definitely doesn't mean that I won't bounce back. Please don't think that I am not enjoying myself, because I love where I am at this moment, I really do.

Today was a big day because I booked three weekend trips to Kerry, Cork, and Belfast! We are so lucky to have two wonderful programs here that give us opportunities to visit such amazing places. My soonest trip to Belfast will take place in a week from Friday! Cork will take place in mid February, and Kerry will take place in early April. I am so excited to explore more of this amazing and beautiful country. I also have Spain, Rome, and a potential trip to Germany with my cousin, Sarah! I truly am blessed.

Today was another good day of introductory lectures. I'm enjoying my classes and loving meeting all the new people here. Today I had my Irish Culture and Society class and my Ethics class. Both professors seem like nice and reasonable people. I know that I will learn a lot here, both inside and outside of the classroom. Tomorrow I start class at noon, so I am definitely looking forward to sleeping in a bit, as I'm still struggling falling asleep at night. This week has already flown by, as I'm sure all of them will. And so we move forward!

I was able to skype two of my great friends from home, India and Joe. I wasn't sure how I would react, but more than anything, I was so excited to hear from them and hear all about their lives. It almost felt like I was there with them. I'm hoping to skype with more people throughout these next few days. I always love hearing from my loved ones. Emotions can certainly go up and down, but overall, I am just happy to hear how well everyone is doing!

I am so sorry to hear of two young men from the Milwaukee area that passed away today and yesterday. Things happen that are completely out of our control, and it's devastating. The best thing we can do is rise as a community. Since I can't be there at this time, I am constantly keeping the Boldt and Von Rueden families in my prayers. Make sure to hug your loved ones extra tight and make sure they know how much you love them.

"Keep you head up, keep your heart strong"

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete