Monday, January 13, 2014

I Made It!

So I finally made it to UCD. And boy, it was a journey. My flight to Dusseldorf went well! I was surprised that we didn't all have our own personal TVs since it was a long flight. But if that was my biggest problem, I'd say I have it quite well. I didn't get much sleep, as I expected. Read some of Silver Linings Playlist, listened to music, hung out. It was very quiet despite there being multiple babies on the flight. The guy sitting next to me was literally OUT for the 7.5 hour flight. I was amazed. Wish he could have taught me his ways.

Eventually we landed in Dusseldorf. That is probably one of the fanciest airports I've ever been to. My jaw dropped as I walked in. We actually ended up landing about an hour earlier than expected. Now, if you know me, you know I'm a BIG worrier. I've always been that way, and waiting for long periods of time without information actually gives me a lot of anxiety. So typical me begins to panic that I won't be able to find my Dublin flight. I was walking end to end trying to figure it out and then realized that I needed to go back to where I began. We sat at the gate for what seemed like AGES. 15 minutes before we are supposed to take off and there's no airplane, no airport employees, no nothing. Keep in mind that I was in Germany and so I couldn't understand anything that was going on over the loudspeaker. So finally a plane comes to the terminal and we have to wait for all the passengers coming in to exit the plane. Then my name is called up to the desk. So again I start to PANIC. Well, they just needed my baggage number so they knew where to deliver it since my flight wasn't direct. No biggie. Keep breathing. The second I got on the plane and heard those adorable Irish accents, I couldn't stop smiling.

I don't remember much of my second flight, mainly because it was so short and I passed out for the majority of it. Glad I was able to get a little bit of sleep before continuing the journey! Signs directed us to customs, which I was super nervous for (surprise surprise), but it actually wasn't a big deal at all. So I found my suitcase at the baggage claim and was on my way with three huge bags filled to the brim. I was all over the place. Finally got on my shuttle to UCD and was able to relax for a bit and just enjoy the view. The shuttle driver was a really nice and funny guy. As I'm getting off, he made sure I knew where I was going. Can already tell the people here are so sweet.

Here comes my struggle. Walking with my three HUGE bags all the way across campus to my apartment only to learn that I needed to go back to basically the entrance to check in. So that was a blast. But anyway, I am now currently sitting on my new bed in my new room at my new school! I can post pictures of my apartment as soon as we all settle in. I have three roommates who are all from the United States. This is actually the first time in my life that I will have my own room. So crazy that I'm here. I don't know when or even if this will ever seem real to me. I guess I will have to just wait and see.

Tomorrow I hope to go out and explore the city. I definitely need to buy some groceries and hangers, since the majority of my closet is two big bars. Tonight I'm hoping to just get settled in and see what this campus has to offer! Orientation starts Wednesday, so I will know a lot more at that time. Well, I'd better stop procrastinating and actually start putting my room together. Best of luck to all those going back to school these next few weeks! Thanks again for all of the prayers for my safe arrival.

So glad and lucky to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment